Lingusitic help

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sat Jul 8 00:53:50 UTC 2006

Not so much  Skt."guru", but "gurUM" (singular) "gure" (plural) in Marathi village language refers to domesticated animals, mostly cattle.  I don't think it has anything to do with Skt. "guru," but it is likely related to Skt. "gauH."  The Marathi Etymological Dictionary of K.P. Kulkarni (p. 261) cites "garu" from Bengali, "goru" from Orissa, "gorU" from Hindi and Nepali.

Madhav M. Deshpande

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology on behalf of Horacio Francisco Arganis Juarez
Sent: Fri 7/7/2006 6:57 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Lingusitic help

Respectable colleagues:
I am looking for the help of the linguists, because years ago, a Hindu commented me that the word guruu means certain animal in the indian languages and as the Spaniards they have cared this word in his language to refer to the word guru. Does some of you know on these meanings?
Sincerely
Professor Horacio Francisco Arganis J.
Researcher of U A de C, IEFAC and IBCH