Reception of the Gita

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Tue Jul 4 09:00:39 UTC 2006

May I take the reaction to my remarks on Marchignoli's
postcolonial treatment of German interpretations of the
Bhagavadgita as an encouragement to explain my point a little
further? Well then, as said before, Marchignoli certainly has a
thorough knowledge of the German sources he discusses, and this
distinguishes him from other players in this field. But I think he puts
his expertise to questionable use by subjecting his sources to a
more or less random selection of prefabricated postcolonial
concepts (the full catalogue of postcolonial prefabs has been spelt
out, e.g., by Ashcroft et al.).

As the title, "Canonizing an Indian text? ...", suggests, Marchignoli
has decided for the postcolonial key concept of "canonizing" (the
"palimpsest" concept, e.g., may also have been worth a try). He
works on the premise - and it remains a premise throughout - that
there have been calculated attempts to incorporate the
Bhagavadgita into a German literary canon of sorts, with clearly
nationalist undertones, of course. The very term "canonizing" tacitly
implies the agency of some hegemonic power claiming cultural
superiority, a claim the postcolonial theorist feels constantly called
upon to expose.

Now, it may be asked whether August Wilhelm Schlegel, one of the
key figures under Marchignoli's scrutiny, ever expressed aspirations
to "canonizing" at all, or whether he really thought that the
Bhagavadgita had any place in a would-be "project connected to
German culture's self-understanding", or that it could help Germany
overcome an assumed "self-conscious crisis" (247). Marchignoli
assures his readers that there is "much evidence" for his quasi-
psychological diagnosis, but as far as I can see, he doesn't produce
any. For his "underlying assumptions of German 'Indology'" he
relies on Sheldon Pollock, whose pronouncements are equally
unfounded and distortive, as will be shown elsewhere.

Hypothetically assuming that A.W. Schlegel actually intended to
incorporate the Bhagavadgita into a would-be German literary
canon, as Marchignoli claims, it must be stated that he made a very
bad job of it by translating it into Latin, not German! There can
hardy be a question whether this "points to a contradiction within
Schlegel's attempt to canonize the text" (253), or rather to the
inadequacy of Marchignoli's self-help psychology with regard to
Schlegel's motives. Marchignoli's stance that Schlegel took this
classicist detour to make the Bhagavadgita more acceptable seems
to me utterly unconvincing. Latin simply was the language of the
"educated world" (gebildete Welt), and it was his declared intention
to make India's "spiritual treasures (...) the common property of the
educated world" ("diese geistigen Schätze sind ein Gemeingut der
gebildeten Welt"; Indische Bibliothek, vol. 1, p. 15, quoted with
variatons by Marchignoli, p. 252, and by McGetchin in the same
volume, p. 207).

In the course of postcolonial proceedings, Kalidasa's Sakuntala is
adduced as another object of would-be canonization. According to
Marchignoli, "the well-known story of enthusiastic German
profoundly consonant with German projects of cultural self-
construction". Now, all Foster had proposed was to investigate "all
that which is beautiful, good and perfect that is scattered here and
there in fragments and variants upon the surface of the globe,
without worrying about our own personal gain" (quoted p. 249). I for
one cannot see any trace of "cultural self-construction" in this. By
comparison, what kind of conclusions with regard to "cultural self-
construction" could then be drawn from Franco Alfano's opera "La
leggenda di Sakuntala", ending with the bombastic prophecy of an
Aryan Duce/Führer figure, when one takes into account its political
background of the early 1920's? Can it be concluded by analogy,
then, that "this self-representation became part, and in a sense a
dangerous part", of Italian cultural identity?

In my view, the most important conclusion to be drawn from
Marchignoli's paper is aptly expressed at its outset, viz., that "by
focusing only on the limited issue of the 'canonization' of Indian
texts, one loses sight of many historical and philosophical
implications related to the subject" (246).

Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Goettingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian
Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm