Punjabi or Hindustani slurs on British?

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Fri Jan 20 14:24:26 UTC 2006

Does anybody actually know *why* brother-in-law (actually, wife's
brother) is a swearword?  I have heard different explanations: either
(1) that the speaker is implying that he has had sex with the
addressee's sister or (2) that such a relative is deemed to be a
nuisance because he is liable to turn up, stay for ages and eat all
your food, and you can't throw him out because he's family.
McGregor's Oxford Hindi-English Dictionary offers no explanation;
Hobson-Jobson seems to hint at the former one.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK