bIbhatsa rasa

somadeva vasudeva somadevah at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 16 21:13:57 UTC 2006

B. Kölver has some very interesting remarks on this in:

Zur Fruehgeschichte der Rasa-Lehre, Berliner Indologische Studien,
Vol. 6 (1991).

See especially §4 pp. 26--29, where he evaluates N"S 6.39 biibhatsaac
ca bhayaanaka.h and finds the common translation of biibhatsa-
(desid. of baadh) as 'repugnant, repellent' etc. too narrow and often
misleading.

Somadeva Vasudeva