Newspaper report: Ancient sea link discovered by ASI

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Feb 15 19:17:09 UTC 2006

For more on this, including some wonderful pictures, see

hhttp://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2213/stories/20050701000106500.htm

Tamil Brahmi writing should be recognizable as such -- since it is
somewhat different from the Indo-Aryan variants.

Another article says

The centrepiece contained Tamil writing in very rudimentary Tamil
Brahmi, engraved inside an urn. Epigraphists have tentatively read
the writing as "ka ri a ra va [na] ta."

(see http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/03/stories/2005040301931400.htm)

I don't know what that would mean (in Tamil or Prakrit), but it would
certainly not be surprising to find an inscription in old Tamil
Brahmi dating from about 200 BCE.

George Hart