The Buddha and the Upanishads

Christian K. Wedemeyer wedemeyer at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Dec 12 04:06:30 UTC 2006

Thanks to Lance for reading closely. No, I was not arguing for the
"strong view." Jonathan, I think, puts it well and succinctly:

>So, can we date some Pali materials with confidence to some period
>prior to Buddhaghosa, even if precise wording is sometimes in
>question? Yes. Can we internally stratify some materials, at least
>on philological/linguistic grounds? Yes. Does this provide us with
>any absolute chronology locating anything in Buddhist materials
>surely in the 5th c BCE? No. We cannot move back earlier than the
>beginning of the Common Era, as far as I can tell.

This, I would assume, would be the general consensus view in the
field, which was why I was surprised at intimations to the contrary.
Given that much the same is true of the Upanisadic corpus as Jonathan
notes of the corpus of Buddhist aagama-s/nikaaya-s--and given that
both corpora shows signs of mutual influence--I think Matthew's
assessment is quite sound; that is:

>the texts and traditions evolved in dialogue with one another and
>arrived at their "finished"
>forms in processes spanning centuries.

Thus, one shouldn't (as Tim appears to) take my reservations about
putting the words of the nikaaya-s in the mouth of Gotama to imply
that any given Upanisadic passage is necessarily any earlier than any
given Buddhist passage.

With best regards,

Christian (taking a break from "active engagement in philological
work" to dither around his computer)

--
Christian K. Wedemeyer
Assistant Professor of the History of Religions