The Buddha and the Upanishads

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Thu Dec 7 16:04:47 UTC 2006

The various narratives of the life of Siddhartha briefly mention his
education. In many parts of traditional south Asia this means a
"religious education" to the present day.  Assuming that the
narrative of his princely status is substantially correct, his
education would have come at the hands of religious teachers,
presumably in the eastern Indic region those who knew not only the
three Veda, but also the Atharaveda and the upanishads.

Whether Siddhartha could read or write is immaterial. Such high level
(social & religious) instruction would have been oral following the
millennia-long tradition.  In the discussions of the six heretics,
the Upanishads are not mentioned but he refutes each one's solution
to presuppositions postulated in the Upanishads. Thus his
"Upanishadic education" would have both been reinforced and expanded.

While I claim no specialization in the "Buddha's life," I do hold
that Siddhartha was one of the most highly educated (religiously)
individuals of his time and that this is verified by his many
conversions of Brahmins and other ascetics who have themselves high
levels of religious education. (After all, when Vajrapani is on your
side you can't lose!)

John
John C. Huntington, Professor
(Buddhist Art and Methodologies)