The Buddha and the Upanishads

Timothy C. Cahill tccahill at LOYNO.EDU
Thu Dec 7 14:28:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Richard Gombrich wrote:

>     However, unless we subscribe to the
> view that the Buddha was omniscient and could therefore respond to texts
> which would be composed in the future, I do not understand how his references
> to important passages in the BAU etc. can fail to be interpreted as showing
> that they already existed when he preached.

Thanks very much for these references!  One small question about the
remark above.  The Buddha is not generally regarded as a textual scholar,
and so the carefully chosen phrase "response to texts" of course refers to
his discourses.  Apart from this, however, is there any evidence that the
Buddha could read?  Or anything to indicate that the BAU was ever
inscribed by the time the Buddha taught?

best,
Tim Cahill