Valmiki, the hunter

McComas Taylor mccomas.taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Sun Dec 3 22:21:56 UTC 2006

Dear friends

Is there any credible evidence for a single historical figure called
Valmiki? I don't believe that Julie Leslie offers any. That being the
case, who is to say what his mother-tongue was?

Yours respectfully

McComas

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan wrote:

> In 'Authority and meaning in Indian religions : Hinduism and the case of
> Valmiki', based on Taittiriya Praatisaakhya 5.34, 5.35, 5.36, 9.4, and  18.6,
> Julia Leslie discusses the possibility that Valmiki, a  grammarian, might have
> belonged to a community whose mother-tongue was not  Sanskrit.
>
> Can a grammarian not propound a rule based on his observation of language
> use by others? Is there any justification to assume Valmiki's rule is based on
> his own usage? I would appreciate any comments on this from the Sanskrit
> grammarians on this list.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> S. Palaniappan
>

> In a message dated 11/21/2006 6:47:10 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK writes:
>
> This is  the subject of Julia Leslie's book _Authority and meaning in
> Indian  religions : Hinduism and the case of Valmiki_.  Curzon,  2003.
>
> Best,

Dr McComas Taylor
Head, South Asia Centre
Faculty of Asian Studies
The Australian National University
ACTON ACT 0200

Tel: +61 2 6125 3179
Fax: +61 2 6125 8326

Email: mccomas.taylor at anu.edu.au

Location: Room E4.26 Baldessin Precinct Building