Alla.h-Upani.sad

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Fri Dec 1 19:56:43 UTC 2006

Here's another work of this title:

LC Control No.:       00288818
Type of Material:  Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Personal Name:     Alī, Asaghara.
Main Title:        Islāmī Tantra śāstra : Fārasī aksharoṃ ke
                      mantra-tantra, hāzirāta bīsā pandraha ke yantra,
                      rojī dāyaka, bhuta-pretādi nivāraka, mohana
                      vaśikaraṇa ādi tantra-mantroṃ kā viśesha
                      sankalana / Asaghara Alī ; sampādaka
                      Rājeśa Dīkshita.
Edition Information:
                   5. saṃskaraṇa.
Published/Created: Āgarā : Dīpa Pablikeśana, 1995.
Notes:             In Hindi; includes passages in Urdu.
Subjects:          Magic--Religious aspects--Islam.
Series:            Lokopayogī Tantra vijñānamālā ; saṅkhyā 4
LC Classification: MLCSA 2002/00558 BP190.5
Language Code:     hinurd
Overseas Acquisitions No.:
                   I-H-00-288818; 04
Other System No.:  (DLC)   00288818
Reproduction/Stock No.:
                   Library of Congress -- New Delhi Field Office Rs45.00
                      ($10.00 U.S.)
CALL NUMBER:       MLCSA 2002/00558 FT MEADE

I have requested it from remote storage and will report on the content.  However, there are a lot of books on magic which advertise in their titles that they are from some relatively "exotic" source but which turn out to be just the same standard, mostly by not entirely 'Hindu,' stuff.  E.g. Misri ka jadu, Tibbati jadugari, Chini indrajala, or the like. (These are made up titles, but I have seen plenty like them.)

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.

>>> mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU 12/01/06 6:28 AM >>>
Some years ago a brief work was published in
Jaipur in Hindi, entitled _Islaamii Tantra_.
I don't have immediate access to my copy,
so I can't describe it in detail just now,
but it may be of some interest in this
context, at least as a curiosity.
While I tend to think that the Alla.h-U in
itself does not offer sufficient material
for an MA paper, it might be possible
to construct an adequate context around it.

Matthew Kapstein