Name of Tibet

Jonathan Silk silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Wed Aug 9 06:40:03 UTC 2006

My friend Dan Martin has asked me to refer the
following to the worthies--I quote his email as
he sent it to me:

  In reading the latest incarnation of the Wiki
entry for Tibet, I found the statement "The
Sanskrit name for Tibet is Trivishtap."  This was
news to me.  So I Schmoogled all over the web and
found the same statement repeated over and over
again.  So I decided it must be true, even though
Bho.ta or Bho.tânta or Bho.tade'sa are the only
Sanskrit names for Tibet I've ever known (some
form of Bho.ta is used until today).  The Wiki
entry doesn't mention Bho.ta even once.  The
dictionaries give Trivi.s.tapa as meaning n. of a
lingam, three staves of a parivrâjaka, Indra's
heaven, etc. but don't mention Tibet.

I know Agehananda Bharati wrote something called
"References to Tibet in Medieval Indian Literary
Documents," Tibet Society Bulletin, vol. 3
(1969).  But I don't seem to have that issue
handy.

Maybe this is the kind of question that could be
thrown out to the big group of Indologists.
--
Jonathan Silk
Department of Asian Languages & Cultures