A Garuda Purana question

Ganesan ganesan at IFPINDIA.ORG
Mon Apr 24 04:48:46 UTC 2006

The first two lines occur with not much variation in the Sivadharma which is
an ancient (circa 5th century) saiva text and very authoritative one for
saiva rites and basic conducts of saivas.
In fact quite a good number of inscriptions of Chola kings from 11th century
mention special endowments given by these kings for study and expounding of
the Sivadharma in famous Siva temples.
Thanks
Ganesan

Dr.T.Ganesan
Chargé de Recherches
French Institute
11, St. Louis Street
PONDICHERRY-605001
INDIA

Tel: +91 - 413 - 233 4168 ext. 123
E mail: ganesan at ifpindia.org
Web: www.ifpindia.org
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan" <Palaniappa at AOL.COM>
To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:02 AM
Subject: A Garuda Purana question

Dear Indologists,

The Garuda Maha Puranam 227.9-10 I am looking at has the following  text:

bhaktiraSTavidhA  hyeSA yasmin mleccho ‘pi varttate||
sa viprendromuniH zrImAn sa yatiH paramAM  gatim||
tasmai deyaM tato grAhyaM sa ca pUjyo yathA hariH||

This  could be in 219.6-10 in other versions. Can anybody tell me how
"tasmai
deyAM  tato grAhyaM" is explained by different commentators? Does this
phrase
occur  anywhere else prior to Garuda Purana? What is the date of this
particular  line?

Thanks  in advance.

Regards
S.  Palaniappan