Dating of the Vaayaviiyasa.mhitaa ?

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 23 20:14:30 UTC 2006

Dear Dr. Goodall,

I have referred to "Garu.da Puraa.na - A Study" by N. Gangadharan  (Varanasi,
1972) who discusses the dating by different scholars including  Hazra and
says that "In the same manner as in the case of several other  Puraa.nas date
could be suggested only for the sections of the GP and not for  the whole
Puraa.na as such." I wanted to know if there had been any study of GP  after
Gangadharan's which might have addressed the dating of the passage in  question.
Scholars seem to have looked into the Sanskrit texts  alone for a comparative study
of GP. In much the same way Bhaagavata  Puraa,na was studied in relation to
the Tamil Tivviyappirapantam of Aa.lvaars  (although since BhP and GP have been
compared one could say indirectly GP  and Tamil materials have been
compared). My own feeling is that in the  absence of any firmly dated earlier Sanskrit
text, the Sanskrit passage in  question is inspired by the bhakti poetry of
To.n,tara.tippo.ti Aa.lvaar.  (Gangadharan also concludes that the Vi.s.nu
Bhakti section of Brahmakha.n.da  was most probably added in South India. This
kha.n.da, of course,  is different from the Puurvakha.n.da which has the passage
we are  discussing.)

As for the liberal nature of the passage, the Sanskrit passage may not
convey the full message. Also, I had not translated the relevant Tamil verses in
full in order to keep the post short. The message in this Aa.lvaar's poems is
not simply what bhakti can do for the devotee or what the devotee can achieve
but also how others, especially Brahmins, should treat the devotee.  Also the
Tamil Bhakti movement terms for saints meaning 'lords' were based with
respect to how they should be viewed by other people and not on their  relationship
to their god.

The liberality of the message of Aa.lvaar is also underscored by the
hagiographic story of Ramanuja, a brahmin, desiring to eat the leftovers of
Tirukkacci Nampi, a non-brahmin teacher who because of his own perception  of his
lower caste status deliberately avoided the possibility of  Ramanuja getting
access to his leftovers. The hagiography is a few centuries  later than the poetry
of the Aa.lvaars.

Regards
S. Palaniappan

In a message dated 4/23/2006 10:19:27 A.M. Central Standard Time,