Oak and the Tribe of the Buddha

Jonathan Silk silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Fri Sep 30 23:59:39 UTC 2005

Alex Passi wrote:

>.... The same texts also says that they are living with their
>sisters, "sakAhi bhagInihi", so as not to spoil their race. This
>would suggest a multiple pseudo-etymology.

First,  they are not "living" with their sisters (the text has
samvaasa), or only in the sense that we use the term 'cohabit' in
contemporary English; they are having sex with their sisters, and the
Pali goes out of its way to say "their very own [full] sisters,"
while other texts indicate that these are their agnatic half-sisters.

The account of the incestuous origins of the Sakya clan from the sons
and daughters (in some versions, half-sisters) of King Iskvaku
appears in many sources. I have not seen it suggested elsewhere that
this is related to the etymology of the name, although this fact
itself does not suggest that it is not. If it is, however, it would,
of course, only work in MIA; Skt sources, for example the
Mulasarvastivada Vinaya version in Skt, refer to svakasvakaa
bhaginii, opposed to vaimaat.rkaa bhaginii. (I have written rather a
lot about this in a book now under review).

JAS
--
Jonathan Silk
Department of Asian Languages & Cultures
silk at humnet.ucla.edu