Hamsa

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Tue Sep 27 23:44:15 UTC 2005

Not only that, but parallel to the idea that a beautiful woman has the gait
of a hamsa (swan or whatever you want), in the Kama Sutra is says the
beautiful woman has the gait of an elephant. Perhaps we today do not
appraise such gaits as beautiful or charming, but some ancients did. Both
goose and elephant are real creatures, not fantastic animals, and I find it
a stretch to assume that the hamsa in some classic texts is meant to be a
mythical animal. Instead it's a poetic figure, and if it lives in ponds of
golden lotuses and has mystical cries, and longs for Lake Manasarovar, so
what? That's poetry.
Joanna Kikrpatrick