Fw: Hamsa

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Sep 27 12:28:36 UTC 2005

Julia Leslie was preparing a comprehensive re-examination of the whole
hamsa/swan/goose/flamingo issue, but sadly her premature death last year
prevented that work being completed.  I do remember several conversations,
however, in which Julia noted that the various "hard" positions on the
fixed identity of the hamsa were always wrong.  It's not "always" a goose,
or swan, flamingo, or mythical bird.  In deciding how to understand what
is meant by "hamsa", "rajahamsa" etc., in any passage, context is very
important, Julia thought, including chronological, geographical and
narrative context.  Her 1998 "A Bird Bereaved" article in JIP demonstrated
this method admirably.  Unfortunately there isn't a simple, general answer
about the identity of hamsa.  Interestingly, Julia felt that it was indeed
appropriate to understand "swan" in many cases, though not all. She
deprecated the rigid identification of "hamsa" with "goose" which has
become an automatic reflex in much indological writing since Vogel's 1962
book _The goose in Indian literature and art_, which she felt was based on
a too-narrow selection of sources (mainly architectural and mainly
Sinhalese).  She felt that Dave's _Birds in Sanskrit Literature_ was often
more nuanced, better informed ornithologically, and more appropriate.

DW