The adbuction of the lotus-flower by the king of elephants

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Mon Sep 19 17:44:02 UTC 2005

As I recall, no reference has so far been made to the following in the

In Bhaagavata Puraa.na 8.2-3 (and possibly other sources) occurs the story
of Gajendra-mok.sa (which is frequently referred to in making the point that
God/Vi.s.nu protects his devotees in distress and is thus quite well-known).
A king of elephants finds his leg/foot in the jaws of a graaha or nakra. No
matter how hard he tries, he cannot extricate the leg/foot. He begins to
pray to Vi.s.nu. As he sees Vi.s.nu approaching, he offers to him, even
while he is in great distress, the lotus he has taken in his trunk
(utk.sipya saambuja-karam ...).

ashok aklujkar