The adbuction of the lotus-flower by the king of elephants

Jean FEZAS jean.fezas at WANADOO.FR
Thu Sep 15 07:55:16 UTC 2005

The simile appears in the kumAra-saMbhava in the last verse of the third canto, where the mountain (himAlaya) carries home his daughter (umA) after the destruction of kAma by ziva.
3.76a    sapadi mukulitAkSIM rudrasaMrambhabhItyA
3.76b     duhitaram anukampyAm adrir AdAya dorbhyAm /
3.76c     suragaja iva bibhrat padminIM dantalagnAM
3.76d     pratipathagatir AsId vegadIrghIkRtAGgaH //

"Just then the Mountain, having taken into his arms his daughter who deserved to be sympathized with and who had closed her eyes in fear of the anger of S'iva, went along his path, as does the elephant of the gods holding a lotus sticking to his tusk, with his body stretched to its full length on account of his great speed" (Kale's translation). Mallinatha says nothing about the suragaja and gives nalinIm as an equivalent of padminIm...

It is difficult to suppose that later poets could have ignored this verse...
J. Fezas (Langue et littérature sanskrite, Paris-3)