vaidurya

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Sep 10 18:46:13 UTC 2005

Dear Dan,

You wrote:

I'm wondering if someone on list can help me better identify a gem: vaiḍūrya
[snip] Does this term have a single referent in Sanskrit, or did it apply to
different
gems at different times and places in India?

***
I looked into this some years ago and, as far as I could tell, it is just
blue beryl, though it would not be surprising if if it occasionally denoted
something else.  The term in Tibetan is also understood as beryl.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge