rupees past

Herman Tull hwtull at MSN.COM
Mon Oct 24 21:23:50 UTC 2005

Just a guess...did contemporary newspapers list some of these rates?  The New York Times archive is available through a subscription service that is probably available at most major U.S. universities.

Herman Tull
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Allen W Thrasher<mailto:athr at LOC.GOV>
  To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk<mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
  Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 4:36 PM
  Subject: Re: rupees past

  I can't find anything online that far back, but the fee-based service  Global Financial Data claims to have data going back to 1590, and for India going back to 1812.  Maybe UC subscribes.  My library doesn't.

  <http://www.globalfinancialdata.com/index.php3<http://www.globalfinancialdata.com/index.php3>>

  Google searches for Historical Exchange Rates (India) yield various free sites govermental and private and the discovery that "historical" in such contexts  means going back at the very most to the 1970s, and usually only a few years.  To save you looking, this site  takes India back to 1922 but not earlier:
  Economic History Services <http://www.eh.net/hmit/exchangerates/<http://www.eh.net/hmit/exchangerates/>>.

  There must be some standard reference book on this for all countries, but I can't find a search strategy to come up with it.  If no one else posts anything promptly I'll ask my colleagues in the Business Reading Room.

  Allen

  Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
  South Asia Team, Asian Division
  Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
  101 Independence Ave., S.E.
  Washington, DC 20540-4810
  tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov<mailto:athr at loc.gov>
  The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.

  >>> mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU<mailto:mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU> 10/24/05 10:16 AM >>>
  Would any of you have some information on
  the exchange rate for the rupee in about 1900?
  If, in addition to the rupee to pounds and/or dollar rates,
  there are estimates of values in current rupees, i.e.,
  the inflation index, that would be useful to me as well.

  with thanks,
  Matthew Kapstein