Oak and the Tribe of the Buddha

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Tue Oct 4 00:47:35 UTC 2005

Is it sure that the "sisters" in question were sisters of the same lineal
descent as the brothers? The term "sister" is sometimes not very precise
when translating local kinships. I note from J. Silk's message that there
must be a term for "full sisters" and "agnatic half-sisters" ....these
latter could be daughters of a different mother same father;  or, father's
brother's daughters would be agnatic sisters (parallel cousins). Northern
Indian kinship forbids consanguineal marriage within 7 generations on the
male side and 5 on the female side. But an article from The Hindu asserts
that

"Buddhism allows first cousin marriages..." although which first cousins is
not specified.(
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/seta/2002/10/24/stories/2002102400040200.htm
)

I ask because there are and were kinship systems in India where uncles
married their own sister's daughters (several Brahmin castes in south
India), -- a way of sort of "marrying a sister" without doing it -- or their
mother's brother's (maternal uncle's) daughters (cross-cousins. Parallel
cousin spouses among Hindus are usually if not entirely taboo. These of
course would not be referred to as agnatic.) Nur Yalman among others has
written a lot on these preferential marriage choices. Granted, the ones he
studied were not from northern India. However, the presence of some types of
"sister-marriage"  in the hills is conceivable.

> From The Hindu (same article):

"A foreigner with no knowledge of Indian society would conclude that
marriages in India are made not in heaven, but in newspaper inserts.
Yet, such ads are not the usual manner of fixing marriages in much of India.
They are but recent introduction, hardly 50 years old, used in case there is
need for a greater choice; they are used if and only if the long-practised
tradition of arranging marriages within the extended family or the
sub-community is not to be followed. Even today, in many communities in
India (and Pakistan and Sri Lanka), the first preference is to look within
the family. Intra-community and consanguineous marriages are still more
common and it has been so for centuries. Much of India, particularly South
India, has practised endogamy or marriages within the community for
centuries. In many communities, preference has been given to uncle-niece
marriages, and between cousins (mother's brother's child, father's sister's
child). The Tamil wife calls her husband "Athan" (father's sister's son)
regardless; and the very word for mother-in-law is "Mamiyar" (respectful way
of addressing mother's brother's wife). A recent study had shown that of the
100,000 children studied, 34 per cent were born to consanguineously related
parents, and 18 per cent of these were uncle-niece marriages. In
Pondicherry, the number of consanguineous marriages was as high as 55 per
cent, 25 years ago."

Perhaps the texts citing so-called incestuous relations might be
questionable as to the kin relationships of the partners in question.
Joanna