Etymologies of Zaakya (was: Oak and the Tribe of the Buddha)

Jonathan Silk silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Mon Oct 3 20:55:36 UTC 2005

Re: Matthew Kapstein's observation on the connection of Zaakya with zak:

  Vinayak
udrakavastu (Derge Kanjur 6, 'dul ba, da 202a5-b4; sTog
Kanjur 6, 'dul ba, tha 299b6-300b1), not very poetically:

Then the Blessed One spoke to the young brahmin Ómra saying: "Young
brahmin, long ago there appeared a king named Ák
våku Sujåta, and
King Ák
våku Sujåta had four sons: Ulkåmukha, Karakar–¥,
Hastikaniya×sa, and N¨pura." Having been banished by King Ák
våku
Sujåta because of some offence, they led their own full sisters and
went to another land, and arriving there, in due order they came
before too very long to the abode of Kapila on the bank of the river
Bhag¥rath¥ in the region of the Himalaya. And they dwelt there having
built huts from branches and leaves of trees. Then, avoiding their
full sisters, they cohabited with their agnatic half-sisters.Then
remaing there [for some time], sons and daughters were born. Then at
some later time King Ák
våku Sujåta recalled his beloved sons, and
spoke to his ministers, saying: "Peasants, where are my sons?" "Lord,
thanks to some transgression, they were banished, and taking their
own full sisters, they went to another land, and arriving there, in
due order [they settled] on the bank of the river Bhag¥rath¥ in the
region of the Himalaya, where they dwell having given birth to sons
and daughters." Then King Ák
våku Sujåta spoke to his minsters
saying: "Peasants, were my sons able to do alright?" "Lord, they were
able." Then King Ák
våku Sujåta was pleased, and stretching out his
right hand he uttered a joyous proclamation: "Well, my sons were
capable!" Because a distinguished person stated "Well, my sons were
capable," they are famous under the name Íåkya, the Able Ones.
--

Jonathan Silk
Department of  Asian Languages & Cultures
silk at humnet.ucla.edu