elves: Indic counterpart?

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Mon May 23 18:00:29 UTC 2005

The thread began with this enquiry, but took off in various
directions afterwards:

At 7:43 pm -0500 7/2/05, Allen W Thrasher wrote:
>A Thai friend is trying to translate the poem on the Ring in the Lord of
>the Rings into Thai, for a multilingual page of such translations.  She
>asked me for help on what would be a good translation for "elves," since
>Thai lore of supernatural beings is largely based on Indian. ...

Allen found out afterwards that there was already a Thai translation
of the whole of The Lord of the Rings in existence, but I don't think
he has actually seen a copy yet.  (I for one am very interested to
know how these sorts of problems are handled.)

Whatever may be the situation elsewhere, in Tolkien's works Elves and
Dwarves are quite distinct beings.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK