Mahaparinirvana-sutra

Klaus Karttunen klaus.karttunen at HELSINKI.FI
Fri May 20 08:11:16 UTC 2005

Ferenc,
there is an article (‘Make an island for yourself’) on this by J. C.
Wright in Fs. Minoru Hara.
Regards,
Klaus

On May 19, 2005, at 2:12 PM, Ferenc Ruzsa wrote:

> Friends,
>
> in the Pali Mahaa-parinibaana-sutta we read:
> "attadiipaa viharatha attasara.naa ana~n~nasara.naa dhammadiipaa
> dhammasara.naa ana~n~nasara.naa"
>
> Is there a Sanskrit / Tibetan / Chinese version of this sentence?
> My problem is: is "diipa" here = Skt. "diipa" (lamp) or "dviipa"
> (island)? Be a lamp for yourselves, or be an island to yourselves?
> (The much later Pali commentary understands it as island.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ferenc

> Ferenc Ruzsa, PhD
> associate professor of philosophy
> Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
> e-mail: ferenc.ruzsa at elte.hu

Klaus Karttunen, Ph.D.
Research Fellow,
  Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
  P.O. Box 4
  FIN-00014  University of Helsinki
  Finland

Tel +358-(0)9-191 23500
  Fax +358-(0)9-191 24509
  Email Klaus.Karttunen at helsinki.fi

also
Docent of Indology and Classical Ethnography
Institute of Asian and African Studies
PL 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B), 00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND