Sanskrit term for "Prediction of enlightenment"

John Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Tue Mar 29 23:36:12 UTC 2005

Colleagues,

we have just learned from an English language source that the gesture
mad by a Buddha or a teacher during a ritual is called the
"prediction of enlightenment." it occurs when the teacher displays
abhaya mudraa with his right hand and holds the hem of his robe with
the left (ur.na mudraa).

Does any one know the Sanskrit for the combined gesture or for the
prediction of enlightenment?

thank you

JOhn
--
John C. Huntington, Professor
    (Buddhist Art and Methodologies)

huntington.2 at osu.edu
Phones:
Direct Line to office (614) 688-8198
Main Department Office: (614) 2927481
Fax: (614) 292-4401

Please see Dr. Dina Bangdel's and my 2003-2004 exhibition at:
http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu/exhib/circleofbliss/index.html

Please visit the Huntington Archive website at:
http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu