[RISA-L] Why no 'shrautas,' given 'smaartas'?

NKP veera veerankp at SIFY.COM
Tue Mar 29 05:29:09 UTC 2005

dears
it seems that the term smArta is used to reer to the brahmins who follow only srutis ans smritis, where as the term vaisnava is used to refer to those who follow pancaraatra in addition to srutis and smrtis.
vnkpandurangi

Quoting  mmdesh at UMICH.EDU:

Madhav M.<br>Deshpande

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology on behalf of<br>Patrick Olivelle
Sent: Mon 3/28/2005 6:16 PM
To:<br>INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject:      Re: [RISA-L] Why no 'shrautas,'<br>given 'smaartas'?

Smartas are really not Brahmins who STUDY the<br>smritis, but those who
follow the smrit rituals -- for the most part<br>domestic -- as opposed
to those who act as priests in temples.

There<br>need not be a term to refer to those Brahmins who study the
Veda,<br>because theoretically all are supposed to study and read the
Vedas.<br>There are other words that refer to Brahmins who are "well
versed in"<br>or "experts" in the Veda. For example, "bahuzruta",
"zrotriya", and (in<br>its later meaning) "brahmavadin".

PO