[RISA-L] Why no 'shrautas,' given 'smaartas'?

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Mar 28 23:16:52 UTC 2005

Smartas are really not Brahmins who STUDY the smritis, but those who
follow the smrit rituals -- for the most part domestic -- as opposed
to those who act as priests in temples.

There need not be a term to refer to those Brahmins who study the
Veda, because theoretically all are supposed to study and read the
Vedas. There are other words that refer to Brahmins who are "well
versed in" or "experts" in the Veda. For example, "bahuzruta",
"zrotriya", and (in its later meaning) "brahmavadin".

PO