Etymology of honorific particle jI

Whitney Cox wmcox at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Jun 23 16:35:20 UTC 2005

I thought that Prof. Kapstein's earlier suggestion made some
good semantic sense, and the Nepali parallel was helpful;
nevertheless,  I had long thought that jii was derived from
skt. aarya.  Such at least is the suggestion of Nehru's
Discovery of India, where Pandit-ji [sic!] in a footnote
somewhere so derives it on the authority of some Indologist
(I don't have a copy of the book to hand, so I can't give
the reference for the moment.)

So maybe aarya => M.I. ayya/ajja....=> jii.  I admit that
I'm at a loss to explain the vowel here, though maybe M.K.'s
parallel can help here.  If Nepali jyuu comes from the same
source (rather than jiiv), and we presume an -u stem change
(like in Apabhra.m"sa or B.H.S.), we're then just an elided
initial away from the form...

wc