Ramayana and "vernacular" Sanskrit

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 29 06:46:46 UTC 2005

In general Prof. Salomon's contributions on
vernacular sanskrit are of the greatest value but
they may not necessarily apply equally to all
"pre-" or "un-classical" works, especially in
view of the linguistic continuum of high standard
language (Sanskrit) and numerous degrees of
approximation apparently existing side by side
throughout the history of Sanskrit. Cf. some of
my observations in my "Socio-linguistic attitudes
reflected in the work of Bhart.rhari and later
Grammarians." In: Ideology and Status of Sanskrit
(ed. J. Houben): 157-193. Leiden: E.J. Brill,
1996.
JH

--- Richard Salomon <rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
wrote:

> I discussed some of these issues (in response
> to van Daalen) in "The
> Original Language of the Ramayana", WZKS 29,
> 1985, 57-68.
>
> Richard Salomon

Jan E.M. Houben,
Directeur d'Etudes,
Sources et Histoire de la Tradition Sanskrite
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes,
A la Sorbonne,
45-47, rue des Ecoles,
75005 Paris -- France.