arsenic-treated traditional papers available?

Jonathan Silk silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jul 21 02:51:45 UTC 2005

Matthew Kapstein wrote:

>One should note, too, that traditional paper production
>has been revived at the Derge Printery in Kham (Sichuan).

I am curious about this, since it had been my impression that it was
not easy to produce paper in Tibet itself, and I had been told--but
maybe this refers only to a more modern period--that if one wanted a
book printed, one had to provide one's own paper, and then of course
pay for printing (donations, tea, etc.).  Was there paper production
in Tibet proper in historical periods?

JAS
--
Jonathan Silk
Department of Asian Languages & Cultures
silk at humnet.ucla.edu