On the history of Kanchi Sankara Matha

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Wed Jan 5 19:00:06 UTC 2005

That explains it, then.  Sort of like the yuvaraja in the secular
kingship (and note Ron Inden's notion that the monks take over the
kingly role of head of Hindu society under Muslim rule).  Or a
vanaprasthya or second sannyasa for a sannyasi.

Allen

>>> dean_anderson at SACARI.ORG 1/5/2005 1:47:29 PM >>>
The tradition at the Kanchi Math, as it was explained to me by the
assistant to the 'younger' Shankaracarya when I visited, is that the
'older' Shankaracarya chooses his successor at a young age and raises
him. When he reaches adulthood, they both officiate although the older
usually has precedence.

The tradition there is that after founding the other four Maths under
his four main disciples, Shankara retired to Kanchi and took one more
young disciple who later became the Shankaracarya of Kanchi which is
the
origin of their tradition of two Shankaracaryas at the 'fifth' Math
which is not always included in the lists of Maths.

There are certainly many examples of Indian celibates living to very
old
ages although there are, of course, many counterexamples as well.
Longevity is hardly surprising since they are expected to eat
moderately, practice exercises such as yoga asanas and meditation and
knowledge of herbal and preventative medicine were also common. All of
these have been shown by western medicine to contribute to health.
Dominik can probably speak more authoritatively on some of this.

In any case, the combination of a long life with an early accession to
the Shankaracarya's seat might help explain your observation.

Best,

Dean Anderson

England
from almost the same date ><http://www.scotlandroyalty.org/kings.html>