On the history of Kanchi Sankara Matha

Dominik Wujastyk d.wujastyk at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Jan 5 09:06:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan wrote:

> Dear colleagues,

[...]
> By the way, the name 'iSTakA maTha' is interesting too. Does anyone know of a
> ny other matha being called 'iSTakA matha'?

Dear Palaniappan,

I've been puzzling over a reading in the manuscripts of the Rogaarogavaada
by Viire"svara, where the author states that he is from a village called
i.s.takaapatha or i.s.takaayatha (see
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/istakapatha.jpg).  I wonder if there is any
connection.  Probably not, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm also puzzled by "[dho|dyo]sarihaa" in the Rogarogavada line.  Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Best,
Dominik