conference on orality-literacy scholar Walter Ong

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon Feb 28 18:53:08 UTC 2005

Some might find the forwarded message of interest.  In my opinion Ong is
right up there with Lord, Havelock, Goody, et al in dealing with these
issues, but I see him mentioned less often than I would expect.

Allen

| > Language, Culture and Identity; The Legacy of Walter J. Ong,
| > S.J.
| >
| > A conference celebrating the Jesuit gift of the Ong Archive
| > to the Saint Louis University Libraries
| >                April 7-8, 2005
| >
| >              Schedule of Events
| >
| > Thursday, April 7, 2005
| >
| > 9:30 a.m.       van transportation from Water Tower Inn to
| > Busch Student Center
| >
| > 10-11:30 a.m. Panel: Current Research (St Louis Room, Busch
| > Student Center)
| > Kathleen Welch
| > Paul Soukup, S.J.
| > Lance Strate
| > Stephen Casmier
| > Thomas Farrell, Moderator
| >
| > Noon-1 p.m. box lunch (BSC 170)
| >
| > 1-2:30 p.m. Catherine Snow, plenary lecture (St Louis Room)
| > Introduction: Ron Kellogg
| >
| > 3-4:30 p.m. Roy Schafer, plenary lecture (St. Louis Room)
| > Introduction: Sara van den Berg
| >
| > 5-6 p.m. Exhibit, Walter J. Ong Archive (Pius XII Library)
| > John Waide, SLU Archivist
| > John Walter, Ong Archive Research Assistant
| >
| > 6:30-8:30 p.m. Dinner (Cupples House)
| > Welcoming Remarks: Tom Shippey, Ong Professor of Humanities
| >
| > 8:30 p.m.       van transportation to Water Tower Inn
| >
| >             Friday, April 8, 2005

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Southern Asia Section
Asian Division
Library of Congress
Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732
fax 202-707-1724
athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
of Congress.