Fwd: SV: Domestication of elephant

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Tue Dec 27 19:39:33 UTC 2005

Lars Martin sent this to me, confirming and elaborating on my vague memories of Porus et al.

Allen

>>> "Lars Martin Fosse" <lmfosse at online.no> 12/27/05 1:24 PM >>>
Allen,

The following message was rejected by Indology for technical reasons. You
may repost it on my behalf if you like!

Lars Martin

************************

I am away from my library, but I seem to remember the following:

Seleukos made a treaty with Candragupta to the effect that Seleukos should
withdraw from a certain amount of Indian territory, but receive some 500 war
elephants in return. Indian war elephants were very popular in the Middle
East, and such elephants managed by Indian mahouts are also mentioned in the
first book of Maccabees. Kings that did not have access to Indian elephants
tried to fill the "elephant gap" by means of African elephants. However, the
Romans found out how to handle elephants in the field (just as they were
able to handle chariots), and the strategic advantage to fielding war
elephants was eventually vastly reduced. Judging by the description in the
Arthashastra, the elephants also functioned as bulldozers and pathmakers in
the jungle.

Incidentally, Porus' army did contain elephants. But the Greeks, like the
Romans later, knew how to handle them.

Lars Martin Fosse

Lars Martin Fosse
lmfosse at online.no