Domestication of elephant

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Tue Dec 27 17:03:31 UTC 2005

Dear Valerie and list members,

The elephant was already a complex part of Harappan iconography by
the time of the main seal tradition, It occurs both alone and as part
of a composite bovid

http://tinyurl.com/cq3pr

(left side of the third line down, double click image)

strongly suggesting a very detailed knowledge of the elephant.
Further at least one of the seals I have photographs of has a cloth
across its back.

http://tinyurl.com/aw3gx

(sorry about the small image! This was a very early posting mid 90's
and we need to update it)

Three others have a rope around the torso just behind the front legs
presumably for the safety of a rider. Accordingly, I would have to
suggest that the direct evidence is for full domestication.

In spite of Yaroslav's comment, I do not have any pictures of
Harappan elephant seals with the elephant at a "manger" or a "feeding
trough"

it May be of interest to know that elephants were domesticated in
early China as well and that their bones appear in Shang tombs (these
were native elephants which have long since died out or been killed off)

Cheers

John

John C. Huntington, Professor
(Buddhist Art and Methodologies)