Decoding date in Sanskrit verse

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Sat Dec 3 22:41:20 UTC 2005

Thank you. The meaning 'five' was my first guess, although I rejected it,
largely because no tithi is normally called pancadasi (the tithi after
caturdasi being either purnima or amavasya). My idea, however, was that
this meaning would be derived from the astrological meaning of the fifth
house of a horoscope (pancama-sthana = putra-sthana, etc), not from the
number of Pandavas.

Martin Gansten

>the reference of the meaning "five" (Paa.n.davas) for "suta" is given in
D[ines]
>C[handra] Sircar, Indian Epigraphy, Delhi, Varanasi, Patna 1965, p. 231:
"Words