body in discussions of the soul

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Wed Apr 13 21:09:26 UTC 2005

The ancient triad probably originated with the Zoroastrians: "good thoughts,
good words, good deeds." In Buddhism it got translated/transferred as "body,
speech and mind." That phrase recurs often in much of the Buddhist
literature. Perhaps it was appropriated by the New Agers as "body, mind,
spirit"-- introducing a metaphysical element--"spirit,"--New Age writing is
rife with metaphysicality--
that was not originally there.

Joanna Kirkpatrick