tad yathA

McComas Taylor McComas.Taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Sat Sep 25 01:26:47 UTC 2004

Many thanks for this - it looks like you are right.

Yours

McC

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk]On Behalf Of Herman Tull
Sent: Wednesday, 22 September 2004 11:03 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: tad yathA

Just a quick opinion: Though certainly common, the phrase appears to be
merely a literary device ("Once upon a time..."); certainly it does not have
the force of the Pali, "evam (iti) me sutam"

While texts like the pancatantra are in Sanskrit, their audience probably
was not brahmins deeply versed in scripture (who would then make the
connection to other scriptural texts...), but those who used Sanskrit for
its literary value.  Indeed, texts of this class were almost certainly
translated into Sanskrit from other Indic languages ("thus, it was
heard...")

Herman Tull