Dyadviveda's Niitimañjarii on Puruuravas and Urva/sii and pseudo-quotations

Christophe Vielle vielle at ORI.UCL.AC.BE
Fri Oct 8 09:00:06 UTC 2004

Thank you very much, Prof. Tokunaga, for this answer.
So the verse numbered 153 that you kindly typed is the only "new" one in
the Niitimañjarii, where it is thus followed first by the BD passage (that
I have both in Macdonell's edition, and in your 1997 one, which is a real
model of critical work), and then by the VAD verses (that I have both in
Macdonell's SA edition from the Anecdocta Oxoniensia, and in their
Saaya.na's quoting), as I was guessing. I suppose than the NM quotation do
not give new or better readings than the VAD as edited by Macdonell from
several mss.  However, does the NM mention, or not, for these 15 verses its
source explicitely, viz. either the VAD or Saaya.nabhaa.sya ?
Anyway, what seems to me interesting in the case of these verses in the VAD
is that they appear to be there not a quotation from a lost epic/puraa.nic
passage but a real "creation" ad hoc  by the commentator .Sa.dguru/si.sya
himself, what can be also found with Puur.nasarasvatii ad Meghaduuta 45
about the cows of Rantideva.
Yours,
CV

E-mail: vielle at ori.ucl.ac.be