fonts

Gérard Huet Gerard.Huet at INRIA.FR
Tue Nov 30 13:29:25 UTC 2004

Dear indologists,

the flurry of messages concerning fonts prompted me to look into the
problem of generating proper
ligatures for Sanskrit on the Web. Thanks to the hint provided by
Stefan Baum on nov 12th, I
understood how to encode ligatures in Unicode, and I could generate
pages with correct rendering
mixing devanagari with ligatures, transliteration with diacritics, and
French with accents.
I have tentatively installed an experimental version of my site
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~huet/SKT/
which I submit to your perusal. In order to get a correct rendering,
you must have installed on
your workstation Unicode compliant fonts, such as IndUni from Cambridge
for diacritics, and
Sanskrit99 from Ulrich Stiehl for devanagari (or Devanagari MT for Mac
users).
At present, I get correct rendering using Mac System X browser Safari
1.2.4 - except that there is still
some problematic buffer size limitation (devanagari does not show after
a while for long Web pages).
If you try it out, please let me know by private email whether you get
properly rendered devanagari
by viewing a typical page such as
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~huet/SKT/DICO/gh.html.
Please mention precise parameters of your installation:
- operating system version
- browser version
- relevant locally installed fonts.

If people are interested, I could explain my method for Sanskrit
publishing, featuring:
- perfect typography for scholarly documents with TeX
- good rendering of Web documents with devanagari ligatures and
diacritics
- unique source of documents in roman diacritics (using any
non-ambiguous transliteration scheme)
- fast algorithms for linguistic processing (using arithmetical
encoding of phoneme streams).
In this methodology, TeX descriptions AND Unicode/UTF8 representations
are compiled from
transliteration texts in 7-bit ASCII, so there is no need for specific
keyboard input or Unicode editors.

Gérard Huet