"Gaudasaraswatha" brahmins speaking Konkani

Christophe Vielle vielle at ORI.UCL.AC.BE
Wed Nov 24 16:36:16 UTC 2004

Thank you very much, dear Madhav Deshpande, for all these very useful
references on the GSB that I am eager to read. Now I find in my own
archives collected from the Indological list, in a discussion about
Nambudiri etc. (1999), this sentence [by a certain B.N.Hebbar - I quote it
such as I have]
"the  ParashurAma  kShetra  includes  the  CitpAvan
(MarAThi-speaking),  SArasvat,  GauDa-SArasvat  (both
KonkaNI-speaking),  Havyak,  KoTa,  (both  "coastal"  KannaDa-speaking)
ShivaLLi  (TuLu-speaking)  and  Nambudiri  (MaLayALam-speaking)
brahmins  referred  to  collectively  as  the  SaptakonkaNa  brahmins."
I do not know on which source this assertion was based.
The same Hebbar was referring to the Sahyaadrikha.n.da of the SkP, but
according to the résumé of Gail (1977: 200-3) the names of the seven
Konkana given there (UttKh 6.48) are the ones of the seven lands ("Kerala,
Tulanga, Sauraa.s.tra, Konkana, Karahaa.ta, Karanaa.ta und Barbara") not
the ones of the different brahmins. When brahmin classification is
concerned, it is the pañca-Gau.da/pañca-Draavi.da one which is used (UttKh
1.2-3),  and in the latter case the brahmins from North India or Gau.das,
among the five groups of which are named the Sarasvatas, can not easily be
identified with the "Konkani" Gau.da-Sarasvatas.

E-mail: vielle at ori.ucl.ac.be