Help on installing fonts on Mac OS 10.3.5

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at EXPRESS.CITES.UIUC.EDU
Wed Nov 24 15:36:28 UTC 2004

Here is what worked for me:  Copy your font files onto a CD,
insert the CD into your new Mac, and copy the font(s) into
your "libraries".  (You can find the libraries, of which
there is more than one, serving different functions,
including the "MacClassic" operating system, by doing a
search [command f] from the desktop.)

One thing you should be aware of:  On the new operating
system, you can still see old bitmapped fonts in MS Word, but
they won't print.  So you need to convert all bitmapped fonts
(even those embedded in graphics) to corresponding postscript
or truetype fonts.

The "upside" is that once you have only postscript or
truetype fonts in your documents, you can use the "print"
command, select the 'save as pdf document' button, and you
get a pdf-file that recognizes any postscript or truetype
fonts, not just the ones that Adobe in all its wisdom
considers acceptable.  To make sure the document is
recognizable as a pdf-file on other platforms you need to
make sure to add the extension ".pdf" to your file name.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Hans