Devanagari

Peter M. Scharf Scharf at BROWN.EDU
Sun Nov 14 18:20:45 UTC 2004

For simple Devanagari instruction, see the following sites:

The Sanskrit Library has developed animations
showing the sequence of strokes in drawing each
character at:
http://sanskritlibrary.org
On the reading room page, under "Instructional
Materials", click on "Devanýgar“ characters".
The access page shows the characters in
alphabetic order, with the vowels listed twice,
first as independent characters, then as
diacritics on the character k.  Click on any
character to view its animation.  Click the right
arrow to play or replay it.

Another site displaying Devanýgar“ character animations is:
http://sanskrit.claude-marillier.net/alpha.html
This site shows alternative shapes of characters
for a, ý, Á, È, and jha not shown at the first
site.

Peter Freund (pfreund at mum.edu), a Librarian at
Maharishi University of Management, has designed
instructional materials for Devanagari at:
http://www.peterfreund.freeservers.com/
another Pre-Unicode Mac Sanskrit font Vedic Font too.

Stephan Baums and Andrew Glass have covered the
Unicode standard and transcoding programs in
their messages, and Richard Mahoney has brought
attention to Velthuis' excellent Devanagari font.
The Sanskrit Library has developed comprehensive
phonetic encoding schemes (in contrast to input
methods, Roman transliterations, etc.) for
Sanskrit with conversion routines to each other
and to Unicode.  The Basic phonetic encoding
scheme is posted at sanskritlibrary.org.  The
purpose of phonetic encoding schemes is to
represent Sanskrit sounds in a manner to simplify
linguistic processing.  My colleague Malcolm
Hyman and I have drafted a long paper "Linguistic
issues in coding Sanskrit" to be submitted for
publication shortly and are preparing
recommendations to the Unicode Consortium for
Vedic encoding.  We organized a panel on the
linguistic coding of Sanskrit at the ACH/ALLC
(Association of Computing in the Humanities and
Association of Literary and Linguistic Computing)
meeting in Georgia last year, to participate in
which some of you contributing to the Devanagari
thread were invited.  I will deliver a brief
version of our paper at SALA (South Asian
Linguistics Association) next week in Stony
Brook, NY.  I would like to collaborate with
those of you who would like to work to improve
the data-entry, encoding, processing, and display
of Sanskrit.  Please include me in your
discussion if you continue it "off-line".

Sincerely,

Peter Scharf
Peter M. Scharf             (401) 863-2720 office
Department of Classics      (401) 863-2123 dept
Brown University
PO Box 1856                 (401) 863-7484 fax
Providence, RI 02912        Scharf at brown.edu
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Classics/Scharf/
http://sanskritlibrary.org/