SV: History of Sanskrit studies

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Mon Nov 1 16:51:24 UTC 2004

I would like to thank all of you who have sent me bibliographical info on
this subject. I am quite overwhelmed! An incredible response.

I should perhaps explain why: The university of Oslo has somewhat
high-handedly introduced a course on "research methods in Asian studies".
This apparently includes everything from Sanskrit to Hindi in addition to
everything else. I have proposed a course for Sanskritists more in line with
what they actually need, and a history of the subject would be very useful.
With this information, I can at a later date more easily build a course that
is meaningful to people working with the early period. I may get a chance to
do this next year because I am likely to be half-time lecturer for sanskrit
for a period, since there is a vacancy in Indology right now, and no money
to fill it. My job will be to keep the boat floating, if not to sail the
oceans.

Best regards,

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no