Sanskrit syntax problem: Double bind constructions

Lawrence McCrea ljmccrea at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Mar 15 04:11:07 UTC 2004

Dear Mr. Buescher,

     I can't point you to any secondary literature on this phenomenon, but it
is quite common and well-known within the tradition.  The principle that allows
terms to construe backwards and forwards at the same time is generally referred
to as the "si.mha-avalokana-nyaya"-- "the rule of the lion's glance".  Lions
are said, either when pursuing prey or fleeing a hunter (I've seen it explained
both ways), to periodically leap into the air and cast a quick glance backwards
to see what's behind them, and this provides an analogy for the grammatical
phenomenon.  There are brief entries on it in Apte, Monier-Williams, and
MacDonell, but none cites any passages.  MW, in his typically frustrating
manner, says that it's found in commentaries on Mahabharata, 'Saankhaayana
Braahma.na, and Taittiriya Prati'saakhya, but declines to cite passages.  A
couple of references are given in Miimaa.msaako.sa.  You might also want to
look at Abhyankar's _Dictionary of Sanskrit Grammar_.  Hope this is helpful to
you.

Yours,
     Larry McCrea
     Lecturer, Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies
     Harvard University