a sloka to be identified

Paolo Magnone paolo.magnone at UNICATT.IT
Thu Mar 11 17:24:42 UTC 2004

Dear friends,

I should like to put forward a different interpretation that struck me on first reading the zloka, which might not be altogether unreasonable in itself (although, of course, I don't know about the context) especially as it appears to me to suit the syntax better. Here it is:

        Their statements carry weight, but mine don't: how can that be?
        [And yet it so happens:] therefore [sound reasoning is not enough but]
        one should [also] ensure refinement of speech, as everybody knows.

I think this deals satisfactorily, inter alia, with Birgit's misgivings about the 'strange' position of ca -- now correlative of na -- (and the "uktau" must surely be locatives?).

This also restores some plausible meaning to "tasmAt" as a conclusive conjuction. Otherwise, "tasmAt" does not really carry any conclusive force at all, because no proper inference is in sight. It rather amounts to saying: "Their statements carry weight: how can you say mine don't? Therefore, they do!" which is rather poor logic, I daresay.

Best,
Paolo Magnone