stock phrase about women?

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Mar 10 09:00:21 UTC 2004

According to explanations I received from
the Tibetan mkhan-po with whom I studied
many years ago, the late Sangs-rgyas-bstan-'dzin
of Ser-lo, Nepal, rma-byed-pa in this context
referred to teasing and poking fun in a way that
was somewhat hurtful or embarrassing, which
always seemed to me convincing as it conforms
so well with immature men's experiences of women.
As the Beatles put it:
"She's the kind of girl who puts you down when friends are there,
you feel the fool..."

Matthew Kapstein