Vi.s.nu's avataaras in Art

John Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Tue Jun 1 17:33:18 UTC 2004

While the Dasha avatara are barely on my list of
interests, my students,  Anu Vedagiri and Chaya
Chandrasekhar, pass on the following:

The earliest known image set is the ca. third
century Yelesveram (at Nagarjunakkonda) stele
with fragments of the ten around him.

The base of the Gupta temple at Deogarh was
"supposed" (see Vats) to have a dasha avatara,
set around the base, but it was fragmentary and
is presently stored in a seemingly "permanently"
locked godown at the site.

The Rashtrakuta (ca 8th century) Cave fifteen at
Ellora, is known as the Dasha avatara, but will
have to check our photographs to see if there is
a real set in it or not.

Complete sets of them show up in Pala sculpture
in the ninth and tenth centuries.

Prior examples of several avatara are important
individual images Varaha, Narasimha, Trivikram,
Krishna, are all sixth century or earlier.

A 2nd or 3rd cemtury Narasimha has just been discovered in Andhra

If any one is interested a small web site could be put up in a few days

John