politics on Indology

John Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Wed Jan 7 15:41:14 UTC 2004

Matt Kapstein has raised a very interesting point

>I am in general agreement with the view that Indology
>should not be used to air political opinions and
>expressions of outrage. However, the intimidation
>of Indological scholars and the destruction of resources does
>directly impact upon the conditions for work in
>our discipline, so that it seems entirely appropriate that
>information concerning such matters should be distributed
>via Indology. Moreover, information regarding appropriate
>means of protest and the representation of the views of
>scholars in the field should I think also be distributed
>in this way. (I'm thinking, for instance, of messages
>providing names and addresses
>of persons to whom letters of protest or support, as the
>case may be, should be addressed.) Though it's not always
>clear just where to draw the line, the distribution
>of concrete information bearing directly upon the health of our field
>should be permitted and encouraged on the Indology list.
>
>Matthew Kapstein
>Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>The University of Chicago

In these "interesting times" with the wholesale destruction of
Buddhist art in Afghanistan (including the Bamiyan Buddhas), the
burning of the Sanskrit college in Nepal with its estimated 12,000
uncataloged manuscripts, the looting and destruction in Iraq, and now
attacks on members of the Indology community directly it is clear
that we are in a situation that requires information and for better
or worse, opinions about it. It is therefore my suggestion that any
factual information, accounts by witnesses, and even opinions should
be encouraged.  An over awareness of these alarming events and
movements would be much better than walking into a situation
blissfully unaware.

Susan and I were  bombed once in Calcutta by the Naxalites and we did
not enjoy a single moment of it.

Peace

John C. Huntington

--
John C. Huntington, Professor
    (Buddhist Art and Methodologies)

huntington.2 at osu.edu
Phones:
Direct Line to office (614) 688-8198
Main Department Office: (614) 2927481
Fax: (614) 292-4401

Please visit the Huntington Archive website at
http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu