Diaspora studies

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Wed Jan 7 01:38:34 UTC 2004

Lars,

You might look at the page on the South Asian Diaspora at Berkeley
(<http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/SouthAsia/diaspora.html> ).  But
I don't see on a quick examination that it lists the universities that
profess a special interest in the subject, nor a curriculum or courses
or a major or sub-major.  A Google search on "South Asian diaspora
program" or "SAd  Studies" picks up York University and some other
universities (all in North America it appears on first glance) that
mention the diaspora on the homepages of their South Asia programs.

Off the Berkeley page I find there is a Center for the Study of the
Indian Diaspora at Hyderabad:

Name: Bhat, Prof. C.
Address: School of Social Sciences,University of Hyderabad
Hyderabad, 500046
Phone: 91-040-3010500 Fax: 91-040-3010120
E-mail: csadss at uohyd.ernet.in

Especially since Hyderabad has or used to have an American Studies
Centre formerly funded by the PL480/United States India Fund foreign aid
repayment rupees, it would not be surprising if Prof. Bhat has good
American contacts and is au courant on what is being done on diaspora
studies here.

The Dept. of Anthropology and Sociology of SOAS offers a major in
Migration and Diaspora Studies: <
http://www.soas.ac.uk/studying/courseinfo.cfm?courseinfoid=146%3Cbr%3E
>.

It's definitely a growth field in North America, to judge from the
number of papers and panels at conferences, but as I say I haven't found
any place where information on the programs is assembled.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Southern Asia Section
Asian Division
Library of Congress
Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732
fax 202-707-1724
athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
of Congress.

>>> lmfosse at ONLINE.NO 01/06/04 09:23AM >>>
Dear members of the list,

On behalf of a colleague, I am looking for universities/departments
that
have courses and/or a curriculum on the Asian diaspora (particularly
Hindus). Do any of you know of any such places?

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at online.no
DO NOT OPEN UNEXPECTED ATTACHMENTS.
MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS BEING ABUSED BY